From what I can tell the majority of the internet loathes the recent 3d phenomenon with a fiery passion. Mostly from I can tell certain 3d aspects are hammered in to a lot of films out there to make things more gimmicky. What I mean by gimmicky is certain images in films will come right out you a grand total of maybe twice within a film that wouldn't normally do so. For instance in Despicable me a flying machine crashes to the ground coming towards the camera with the tip of the craft, a long metal spike, coming through the screen directly at the viewer. I personally don't belief that this really adds any form of tension for the viewer. Perhaps younger viewers might be "freaked out" by such a tactic, but the entire audience that I was a part of barely even flinched during that particular part.
Speaking as someone who is constantly working just to pay for food and the occasional movie outing these 3d ticket prices just seem astronomical. At my local theater the price difference is about 3 bucks, which isn't all that much, but it adds up. When you add in gas to get to the theater, food, and drinks to adds up to a whopping 20-25 dollars. Now many of suggested, "Marchy, just don't buy food there." Well I don't. I usually try and get food cheap elsewhere. Perhaps a Wendy's or BK run. "Well why not just not eat at all?" Well....that's a good point, but quite honestly I like to be full and comfortable while watching my movie. I don't like hunger to distract me from paying attention for the 10-12 dollars I just spent. I could go into the fact that we're in a recession and such....but that bores me to tears.
Finally Hollywood is making EVERYTHING 3d. I said that once to a friend whilst waiting for our movie to start at our local movie theater. She responded that surely it's a gimmick not everything is coming out in 3d. I responded by giving her a quick tour around the theater looking at the coming attractions posters. I counted a total of 18 posters. A grand total of 16 of those 18 posters toted the fact that it was coming out in....3d. Why? Why does Hollywood feel the need to shoe horn all this in? Do people really love it that much? The majority of the films that were being made 3d weren't even meant for the format. Such as the new chapter in the Narnia saga, as well as the first part of the final Harry Potter film. To be fair some were clearly made for 3d, or made in such a way where the 3d wouldn't affect the film too much, such as Piranha 3d and the new family film called Alpha & Omega. However, the majority of upcoming 3d films clearly had the element added in as an afterthought. I almost akin it to someone throwing a bumper sticker on a brand new car. It makes an otherwise beautiful and good working machine into something garish and tacky. The biggest atrocity of late that I have noticed is the upcoming family Christmas film The Nutcracker in 3d. 3d is literally in the title! The have completely reworked the mythos of the classic story. The Rat king is now an evil dictator who has taken over the Nutcracker prince's kingdom and had him changed into his titular form and thrown into the "real" world. So where is this fanciful world you ask? Well its on the other side of mirrors a la Lewis Carrol's Through the Looking Glass. There are rat fighter pilots, a horrible looking nutcracker, and John Turturro as out rodent-esque villain. Quite literally I believe that the 3d medium fueled all the creative decision making for this film, which could very well butcher one of the most beloved Stories of all time. Seriously Hollywood, what the fuck?
-Marchy
PS- There had better be some respect for Tchaikovsky's music. Also I don't wanna see the nutcracker busting out into the robot during a dance battle with the Rat King.
No comments:
Post a Comment